If you plan on skiing Telluride for the first time this winter, you don’t want to miss out on the best après-ski action after a day on the slopes. Telluride offers a varied selection of late afternoon libations for locals and guests, offering skiers a chance to kick back and unwind before heading out to dinner (or straight to bed, depending on how hard you’ve skied!). The great thing about Telluride is that the town is so small, you can easily hit multiple spots in one après session!
At Lodging In Telluride,we love a little bit of post ski shenanigans as much as anyone else, and we love recommending our favorite local spots to our guests! Here are our top picks for the 2015/2016 ski season ahead:
- Allred’s – perched atop the lofty ridge of the San Sophia gondola station is Allred’s. A private club by day for members of the Telluride Ski & Golf Club, the bar and restaurant open up in the afternoon to welcome regular folks like you & me for drinks & dinner. This is hands down the best spot to pull up a perch, order a bevy, and watch the sun set over Telluride’s iconic box canyon. VIBE: Old West Clubhouse. DON’T MISS: the sunset. Seriously.
- Tomboy Tavern – ski right to the front door of Tomboy Tavern, the always buzzy, vibey hot spot located at the bottom of “The Beach” by Chair 4. With an extensive selection of artisan beers, delicious burgers and some of the best wings in 81435, this is a top pick for those wanting to rub shoulders and share stories with visitors and locals after a heady powder day. VIBE: . DON’T MISS:
- There Bar – this one requires a little more effort to get to after a day in the slopes, but we promise it’s worth the effort! There Bar is situated on Telluride’s west end, on Pacific Avenue. These guys mix the best cocktails of any establishment in the box canyon. VIBE: Brooklyn Hipster. DON’T MISS: the fried Brussel Sprouts.
- OAK – Oak is a local’s favorite. Given it’s prime location at the base of the gondola in Telluride town, it’s hard to ignore the scores of hungry, thirsty masses crowded around the outdoor tables on a sunny afternoon. A place that welcomes families with small kids, it can be a little overwhelming to walk into some days. But you can guarantee that you will meet some of Telluride’s oldest locals & most accomplished skiers. And you will likely leave with some new Telluride friends! VIBE: Local & lively. DON’T MISS: the pulled pork sandwich.
- The Last Dollar Saloon. AKA “The Buck”. If you’re looking a no frills après experience in a classic western ski town bar, head straight to “the Buck” located on the corner of Colorado Avenue and South Pine Street. If your flying solo, don’t be shy about perching yourself up at the bar where you are sure to make some friends. Sit in front of the fire, or throw some coins in the jukebox & dance the night away with your buddies! VIBE: Anything goes. DON’T MISS: the jukebox.
We are about six weeks out from the official start of the 2015/2016 ski season. If you are looking for quality, affordable lodging call Mindy & Georgie on 888-998-6471. We offer our guests a selection of vacation rental condos in Telluride town. There is also a lift ticket special running on the Telluride Ski Resort website through October 13 where you can seriously save on season passes & multi day lift tickets.