If you love to ski, it’s highly likely that you also love happy hour. After a day of intense thigh burn, frozen fingers and achy feet (geez I’m not making skiing sound too fun am I?), it’s easy to work up a thirst/appetite. Whether your perfect apres comes in the form of beer & wings or sushi & cocktails, there is certainly something for every set of tastebuds here in our beautiful box canyon. Here at Lodging In Telluride, we have some firm favorite’s in our little mountain town. But we understand that different people want different things at the end of an epic ski day. So, with that in mind, we have put together the following list of the best happy hours in town. Please feel free to comment on your personal favorite’s, or anything you think we have missed!
1. The Cosmopolitan – certainly an easy choice as far as effort is concerned, this long time Telluride establishment is just steps from the gondola and the base of Chair 8. Located in the base of Telluride’s Hotel Columbia, the ‘Cosmo’ happy hour is a popular one, with half price sushi rolls and $5 cosmopolitan cocktails. Hang out in the hotel lobby by the fire and enjoy one of Tellude’s best dining experiences, for a fraction of the price.
2. Honga’s Lotus Petal – anyone who has spent any time in Telluride know’s who Honga is. Honga’s Lotus Petal is a Telluride institution. This asian fusion restaurant has been on the scene longer than most have been in Telluride. From 5.30 – 6.30 daily, Honga’s hosts one of the best happy hour specials in town. A mojito and a roll for $10. Beware of the mojito’s. They are deceptively strong.
3. La Marmotte – My personal favorite here in Telluride, La Marmotte offers an old world European feel, with friendly, attentive staff. What I love about La Marmotte is that it perfectly blends fine dining folk with seasoned locals. On any given night, you will find some of Telluride’s most colorful characters sitting at the bar. La Marmotte offers fabulous wine and dinner happy hours during non peak periods. Get there early and prop up the bar!!
4. there – there bar is a relative newcomer to the Telluride scene. Located on West Pacific Avenue, right across the road from the Viking Lodge, there Bar is arguably Telluride’s best cocktail bar. Again, a cocktail potency warning is required here. Two’s the limit for me, but hey, it’s all relative. The fried Brussell sprouts are also a winner!
5. OAK – located at the base of the gondola (you can literally ski to the door), Oak is a firm local favorite. Formerly Fat Alley on Oak Street, Robbie and the gang moved to their new location about 2 years ago. Serving beer, cocktails and wine, as well as a tasty southern menu including fried okra, pulled pork sandwiches and delicious gumbo, Oak is the perfect spot to pull of your ski boots and replenish your energy levels after shredding the pow.
6. The New Sheridan – with its century old, hand-carved Austrian made bar, dim lights and saloon vibe, the Sheridan Bar makes you feel like you just stepped onto the set of an old western movie. Serving $5 Jack Daniels all day, as well as wine, beer and other spirits, anyone who visits Telluride should make a stop here.
7. The Last Dollar Saloon – affectionately known as “The Buck”, Telluride’s Last Dollar Saloon is a must for anyone looking for a good time in Telluride. I think it’s safe to say that everyone who lives in Telluride has lost their mind at least once in this rough and ready bar. Not really somewhere you would go to make polite conversation, or go on a date, but if you are looking to let your hair down, head on up to Main Street and perch yourself at the bar.