Packing for your summer vacation in Telluride can be fraught with uncertainty. We’ve all sat, slumped over our suitcase the night before we are meant to leave for a trip, suitcase bulging with things you probably don’t need (and likely won’t use!), wondering what on earth you have left out, and what you might need but haven’t thought of. Here at Lodging In Telluride, we want to create a little cheat sheet for you. If you are planning a vacation to Telluride this summer for a wedding, 14’er mission or just for some fresh mountain air, we want to help you be prepared!
1. Sunscreen – Telluride does not get super hot during the summer, but we are at 8750 feet elevation, meaning the sun packs some punch at altitude! The number one thing to throw in your suitcase is sunscreen!!
2. Waterproof Jacket – summer storms come out of nowhere here in the San Juan mountains. If you are out hiking or biking, pack waterproof jacket. Don’t be fooled by the blue skies and sunshine in the morning. At 3pm it can be a very different story!
3. Running/Hiking Shoes – even if you aren’t a big hiker, I can bet you will feel inspired to take some long walks while you are here in Telluride. Throw in your running shoes just in case.
4. Yoga Mat – nothing balances the body better than a good stretch at the end of a big day’s hike. We have 2 amazing yoga studios here in Telluride. If you have never tried yoga before, you might feel the urge to give it a go on your Telluride vacation.
5. Long Sleeve Shirt – the sun is always shining in Telluride, and it’s rays can be very intense. If you plan to be out in the sun for long periods, pack a light weight cotton shirt so you can protect your skin and stay outside without frying yourself.
6. Swimsuit – many condo complexes have a hot tub, and some have a pool (like the Viking Lodge & Lulu City). We also have the town pool for a refreshing dip. You might even feel the urge to jump in the river….if you’re brave! Don’t forget to throw your swimsuit in your suitcase.
7. Flip Flops – It’s nice to have a pair of shoes that you can slip on & off without a hassle. Flip flops are the perfect footwear option for lazy summer days hanging on Telluride’s Main Street.
8. Fleece/Sweater – Telluride, in my opinion, has the perfect summer climate. Most days hover in the mid 70’s. If it hits 80, that’s a hot day. At night, temperatures can drop off, especially if there has been an afternoon storm. Sometimes we randomly get snow in June and August. Don’t forget to pack a sweater, fleece or something warm you can throw on if it gets cold.
9. A wide brimmed hat – caps look cool, but the only thing to keep neck burn at bay is by wearing a full brimmed hat when out and about during the day.
10. Reusable water bottle – stainless steel is ideal. Help us keep our beautiful mountain town beautiful by limiting use of one time use plastic water bottles. Stainless steel water bottles also keep you healthy as they do not leach harmful chemicals into your water as plastic sometimes does.
If you are looking for accommodations in Telluride for your summer getaway, call Mindy & Georgie at Lodging In Telluride on 888-998-6471 and start planning your trip. Lodging In Telluride offers affordable, quality vacation rental condos in Telluride town, at the Viking Lodge and Lulu City.