Here’s a fact that I know many of you won’t disagree with – Telluride ain’t cheap! This is not surprising given the fact that Telluride is a world class ski resort and highly sought after summer vacation destination.
If you are bringing your family to Telluride, you are probably wondering where you can dine with the family, without breaking the bank. You’ll be happy to know that despite Telluride being generally quite expensive, there are some excellent options in Telluride and Mountain Village that serve great food at a reasonable price.
1. Flora Dora – this classic, saloon style establishment has served Telluride some of the tastiest burgers, salads and hearty Colorado inspired entrees since the 70’s. Try the Flora Dora burger with a side of fries. Yum!
2. La Cocina De Luz – freakishly fresh, delicious, organic Mexican food. Free chip & salsa for all. The margarita’s are also a winner!
3. Le Pizzeria – located in the Mountain Village core, and owned by a very authentic Italian family, Le Pizzeria serves up bona fide pizza, with simple toppings and no frills decor.
4. OAK (the new Fat Alley) – gumbo, chicken fried steak, pulled pork sandwiches, need I say more?! Definitely not the healthiest place you will ever eat, but Robbie & his team have been serving Telluride delicious, friendly, quick food for years. And it’s a great place to mix with Telluride locals. You might even overhear where to find the best secret powder stashes too!
5. The Butcher & The Baker – these gals do it right! Megan and Cinda, 2 long time local Telluride ladies serve up some of the best organic, locally sourced, healthy, fresh food in town. Always packed, the Butcher & the Baker also serves delicious pastries and cakes. You can even pick up a dozen farm fresh eggs too! Located on the east end of Colorado Avenue (main street).
6. Brown Dog Pizza – if you have cranky, tired, skied out kids who need a quick fix, head to the Brown Dog on Colorado Avenue (main street) for yummy pizza, wings, pasta and beer. They also have the biggest collection of flat screens of any establishment in town, so if sport is on your agenda, heard to the Dog and cheer on your team!
7. Baked In Telluride – burned to the ground in 2009, Baked In Telluride was quickly resurrected, much to the relief of every child in Telluride. Baked In Telluride is known for it’s baked goods (donuts, biscuits, bagels, you name it!) as well as serving pizza, sandwiches and pasta. Located on South Fir Street, Baked In Telluride is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner before you hit the slopes or the summer festivals.
8. Cornerhouse Grill – a sports bar and another Telluride institution, the Cornerhouse Grill services beer, burgers, wings and tater tots. Located on North Fir Street.
9. Crazy Elk Pizza – back in Mountain Village (right next door to the Tomboy Tavern, near the base of Chair 4), the Crazy Elk serves no fuss pizza. Quick, easy & cheap.
10. Caravan – a relative newcomer to the Telluride food scene, Caravan is the hippy sister of La Cocina De Luz. Also located on Colorado Avenue, the Caravan serves Greek and Middle Eastern fare. Literally a caravan, Caravan is a trailer sitting in the middle of outdoor seating. This is THE spot to sit in the summer, eat scrumptious food, and watch the world go by.
I hope this post directs you all towards affordable dining options for your Telluride visit. As always, we are open to suggestions in the comments box below. What’s your favorite cheap eat in Telluride?
This blog post was brought to you by Lodging In Telluride. We are a boutique vacation rental agency located in Telluride, Colorado. We want to help you plan your perfect Telluride escape, by bringing you insightful ‘local’ knowledge on dining, bars, activities, festivals and shopping. And if you need help finding accommodations for your Telluride stay, we are only a phone call away!! Call us on 888-998-6471 or shoot us an email.